Photobucket

Monday, March 17, 2008

AF this is for you!

I first met my Aunt Flo at the age of thirteen. I'd heard rumors about her...my mother's explicite and detailed attempt to explain who she was, after I'd asked about the content of the Kotex boxes in my parents' closet. I figured, at the time, that she wasn't someone I really cared to meet anyway.

But then one day I was at my gradmmother's house and had been feeling "strange" all mornjning, i though it was something i had eaten, so i headed to the bathroom and came out pale as a ghost, straight to my mother i went and told her what was going on.She proceeded to tell the whole house, full of family might i add wthat i was a "woman" and out came the champagne to celbrate such joyous moment. i wanted to die!
So that's how I got to know Aunt Flo. And yet, after this most unpromising introduction, her visits soon became run-of-the-mill. I insisted on purchasing tampons (thank you,Teen magazine) despite my mother's skepticism ("I could never use those..."), which diminished the ick factor quite a bit; and I started learning the rhythms of her visits: things like her punctuality; her tendency to show at night, and her quirks, like cramps only every other month. And soon I'd gotten to the point of being able to discuss Aunt Flo with my peers, and discover that most of us were all experiencing the same things. We spoke knowingly of being "on the rag," swapping war stories and Midol.

These days Aunt Flo is well MIA she just kind of knocked at my door, bags in hand: Maybe I'll just go to a motel this time, honey. And -- I kind of miss her. I mean, I know she can be messy and inconvenient, and I've often treated her like the crazy relative we all try to avoid sitting next to at holiday dinners...but we have a history, Aunt Flo and I. And it actually makes me a little sad when she doesn't show up. I'm anxious that one day she'll leave and not come back; that she'll find herself a nice little condo in Florida and stay there. I -- I'm not ready for that. Not yet.

So, Aunt Flo, if you're reading this -- I have a snuggly afghan and a cup of tea waiting for you. Potato chips. Chocolate. Advil and a heating pad, even, if you're in an owly mood. Seriously -- I want you to come over. Don't be a stranger. I need you to come back so i can get on with my life.

2 comments:

Fit & Fierce Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fit & Fierce Mama said...

if she comes your way, please send her to me next. I'll do the same if I see her first :)

(I deleted my first comment because there was a spelling mistake and I am that OCD)