Photobucket

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

let's talk toys

I grew up part of my childhood in Costa Rica, where playing meant going outside to ride our bikes or play with wooden cars and doll houses my grandfather had built for us. I remember my mom catching baby frogs (they were super cute not slimy and icky) for me to entertain myself while she napped. It was very carefree and natural.
If the day was rainy we all went inside and built forts or haunted houses in the bedroom and played indoors. or we would built play-doh houses and crafts. or we would play jaxs
remember these?


TV was reserved for sunday morning cartoons but once they were done we all went out to play or to the park, or even just for a walk.
I see how my 9 y/o now entertains himself with Ds, Wii, PS2 or his latest obsession...finding star wars based movie clips made of legos on you tube...yes he know youtube(with parental controls of course)
When we started the registry for Gabriel we didn't get many things i deemed unnecessary, this included toys because well he has a n older brother. that said i also didn't want him to go down the same road as Darren has as far as electronics goes. I'm counting the days where we can head out and go to the zoo and take walks and explore nature.
I don't want to introduce complex toys to him, that leave virtually no room for his imagination to flourish once he gets older.
I have been looking at some wooden toys at ikea and i think i'm gonna go get them and try them out. Take a look at how cute and simple these are:
<span class= baby gym
<span class= building blocks with wagon
<span class= push along
<span class= stacking ring
<span class=toy hammering block
<span class=toddler walker

and i also saw these on etsy by seller pinkhouse
very simple clean toys.
Montessori Baby Toys - 5 Sweet Toys in One Bag,  Simple, Wooden, Cotton

I mean seriously I don;t want ot be like this, nor do i think baby needs it:

It can be tempting to stock up on the latest baby gear, despite excessive costs.

here is an interesting article i found about this...well sort off

0 comments: