Photobucket

Sunday, January 31, 2010

let's talk tears

If you didn't have one or need an episiotomy, don't keep reading this post is not for you. =)

Oh and there are tons of TMI so you've been warned...

I had a second degree tear. The first week was pretty bad. I couldn't sit unless I had 2 towels rolled up on either side under me so I was kind of "free-floating" (nice visual huh?).
I had a double epi with D off to the side; this one was midline and needed more than just a couple of stitches. How many in total? I have no idea. I wasn't told, nor did I ask. The stitches are supposed to dissolve in 7-10 days.
Right after my Dr. fixed me up, the nurse came in with a NB diaper filled with ice and placed it down there :::ahhhhh::: never knew ice could be so amazing!
Then once I was able to walk after the epi wore off, she took me to the bathroom had me sit and introduced me to the squirt bottle, next best thing to the ice. She said anytime after I go to the bathroom, pat dry and then rinse with warm water, she also gave me witch hazel pads, LOVE these, she had me put some numbing cream right onto the pad then gently press it to the wound and leave it there, keeping it in place with the heavy duty hospital grade diapers...er I mean [ads which in turn were held in place by the unforgettable mesh panties, I have to stop here and say that you can mock them all you want and its one of those love them or hate them items, I personally loved them, Michael vowed to never make fun of my Vickie’s boy shorts since they were 10 times sexier than "those things" excuse me I just pushed out your child and your thinning sexy!? what is wrong with this picture? lol
Anyway my lady bits were frozen and numb and I was good, until the epi really wore off, I was in my room and baby was BF'ing for the first time after delivery...wow I had completely forgotten how much the after pains really hurt not to mention them pushing your down on you tummy like they have more stuff left in there to deliver, oh and the gushing feeling...not fun either.
Motrin please...wait I can have Percocet? Bring it on! (Actually I only took it at night so it wouldn't get to baby or I feed him right before I took it)
Once we got home there was no way I was going anywhere near our stairs, so we slept in the living room the first 3 days. I was very good about doing all the extra steps to help heal faster and oh yeah to minimize the pain. I remembered that the morning I went into labor I had seen this thing at BRU and thought "oh cool idea..hmm $15 not really a necessity" that first night was hell with the pain, not having gone #2 my tummy was feeling funny but I was scared to go and cause more pain, thank God for colace. I sent hubby out to BRU next day to go get the damn thing, if I had known how effective it was I would have paid $50 for it. I honestly believe this thing helped me so much to heal faster and be numb.
So here I am almost 2 weeks later, yes still a bit sore, but the stitches I think are all gone if not then the majority are (hey I can't feel them anymore)
in summary here are my must haves if you tore or had and episiotomy and the last one even if you didn't have any of these but had a vaginal birth the thing is heaven sent and worth every penny IMO.

1 peri bottle aka my new best friend and bum saver
http://www.expressmedicalsupplies.com/images/products/i09568.jpg

2. witch hazel pads ( if you can't find any store made ones, make them yourself, use the facial round makeup cotton swabs, buy a bottle of witch hazel (by the alcohol and hydrogen peroxide in your pharmacy/grocery store)
find a container soak the pads and refrigerate, trust me the cold will feel awesome

Witch Hazel Pads - Astringent

3. always infinity pads - once the heavy bleeding has passed, 2-3 days after I came home from my 3 day hospital stay (6-7 days after birth) these have worked really well for me, I only leaked through once and they are long enough to keep you covered.
Always Infinity Powerful Absobency Heavy Flow - 16 Pads

4. Earth mama earth angel - like I said I got it at BRU but you can also get it from Amazon or their direct website.
New Mama Bottom Spray

5. 2 towels- or if you have $$$ to spend you could get one these, but the towels serve the same purpose

Prince Lionheart Epi-Pillow - Prince Lionheart  - Babies"R"Us

1 comments:

Mrs KS said...

OMG thanks for triggering flashbacks to how awful it was LOL! I swear I used my peri bottle for a full month, not kidding. I think the worst part of it was the hospital bed, that thing was hard as a rock. I had to stay 2 days and I only slept in it, spent the rest of the time in the bedside chair. I'm going to have to look into the other stuff you suggested if we have another LO. All I had was the peri bottle and some Ibuprofen. ;) Hope you're feeling better every day.